Tuesday, February 7, 2012

People like blood sausage too...



...People are morons.  So goes the saying in Groundhog Day (aside: I swear I like more TV shows and movies than just Seinfeld, Airplane and Groundhog Day - they just have so many quotable moments and for some reason I've been stuck on them lately, I'll evolve).  I typically don't like to cannibalize the attention on my own blog posts by posting twice in the same day, let alone 2 hours, but seeing as how I don't have a lot of readers to piss off, now is probably the time to make mistakes.

I couldn't help but notice when I went to Yahoo's home page (I know, I know, it's my own fault, and I need to break the habit of visiting Yahoo) that their top news, yet again, is that another moron has fallen victim to his own stupidity.  AKA - he racked up an $11,000 cell phone bill.  I didn't bother to read the rest of the article, because it doesn't deserve more attention than the time it took to read the headline and look at the picture, which really say it all (I'll refrain from including the fact that he's Canadian, since this has happened to many Americans).

You need only Google "really expensive cell phone bill" to come up with hundreds of similar stories.  Now, I don't have kids, so I only have my own cell phone usage to police, but it seems pretty common sense - if I am roaming, I probably should not start streaming videos or making ridiculously long phone calls or sending 5000 text messages a minute.

Typically I don't defend big businesses like the phone company and they should probably give these idiots a break, but just as with blood sausage, the problem will exist until the idiots are eliminated (read: never).  What bothers me even more about this is that there are probably even more people out there that have received cell phone bills like this one and don't report it because of the sheer embarassment.  What do you think - regulate the phone company or regulate the public?

No comments:

Post a Comment